Children's Books

Monday, April 4, 2016

Readers are AWAKE!

Readers are awake!  Today was our first day back after Spring Break.  I was excited (and a little nervous) to find out what my 4th graders read during the break. We've been working so hard to nourish a love for reading while supporting readers who are establishing their identities as readers. Would the kids be able to stick to the plans they had created? Would they actually read?

I sat down and called over Mr. Captain Underpants Superfan.  He stopped by his desk and picked up another book. He handed me this Captain Underpants #12 book and proudly said, "I'm finished." He completed the entire series, and now I could return the book back to the library. He was also reading a different book by Raina Telgemeier. The book he chose is a favorite that has been quickly making its way through the 4th grade classroom.

I wanted to ask Mr. Captain Underpants Superfan how and why he was able accomplish the plan he'd made for Spring Break reading. (Our last reading conference was creating a plan for reading over Break. He decided that he needed to finish Captain Underpants #12 and then read Smile or Sisters by Raina Telgemeier.)  Here's what he said:

  1. I found a good reading spot.
  2. I read books that I actually like.
  3. I read for a long time.

And friends, that's what readers do. We read books we love, we read in comfy places, and we read for a long time. I'm thrilled to announce that we have another Lincoln Lion reader that has awakened.

No comments:

Post a Comment