Children's Books

Thursday, April 7, 2016

OASIS Tutoring- Helping KidsBloom

I am blessed with a job where I can watch kids bloom as readers and learners all year.  It is evident that I am not alone in this wonderful experience. Many of our kids have extra people who help them bloom.  One group of "gardeners" that have a special place in my heart are our OASIS tutoring volunteers.

Walking along the Retelling Mats
This week I was lucky enough to be asked to give a presentation to our district's OASIS tutors.  OASIS tutors are older adults who volunteer their time each week to meet with a student (or students) to build relationships and improve skills in reading, writing, and speaking. OASIS tutors are kind of like an extra grandmas or grandpas.

Passing around the Retelling Discussion Balls
I talked with the tutors about activities they could use during their tutoring sessions to provide movement breaks while still working on reading and speaking. We played with retelling beach balls, walked along retelling mats, and played character charades.  We all had a great time getting to know each other better and trying out new activities

I also shared some picture books that I recently discovered at the library.  The favorite book I shared was Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry. Stick and Stone are characters who need a friend, and luckily they find each other. It's a lovely book that shows up the true meaning of friendship. The tutors loved the book, and I can't wait to hear how they are using it with their students.  If you have not read this book, you MUST READ IT SOON!

 If you are interested in working with kids and being an OASIS tutor you can find more info at OASIS St. Charles.


No comments:

Post a Comment