Children's Books

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Time + Experiences = Relationships

Time and common experiences are two factors that are important when building relationships. As a remedial reading teacher, I have the opportunity to grow with teachers and students of all grade levels in my school. Literature can serve as “windows or mirrors” for readers, and it provides a springboard for discussion and reflection. This year I have used the power of books to forge relationships between readers.

In the fall I approached the principal with the idea of offering voluntary book clubs for the teachers. Each month a new title is chosen, and teachers can jump in and out of the book club whenever they choose. These experiences have given teachers opportunities to share their thoughts.  

I love seeing posts on social media from book club members such as:
  • “”The War That Saved My Life” is so good! I want everyone to read it so we can talk about it!”
  • “This is the fourth book I’ve read in four weeks! I’m so thankful for other co-workers turning me into a wild reader again!”
  • “I’m a reader! Who am I? Seriously?! Thanks for turning me into a reader this year.”
  • “...it has brought us closer as a faculty and opened up the opportunity for people to get to know each other better.”
Read more about our journey of book clubs at https://goo.gl/LEZhHh .

No comments:

Post a Comment