Children's Books

Saturday, January 7, 2017

#OneWord2017

#OneWord2017

Shine verb
  • give out a bright light:
  • be very talented or perform very well:

I don’t do resolutions. I made plenty of them each January, and I never kept them. This year I decided to join many others and pick one word to help guide my intentionality and decision making this year. I’ve chosen the word shine.

Several years ago I was going through a really difficult time in my life with lots of  challenging decisions to make. I was feeling very insecure and unsure about myself. My sister gave me a ring with an inscription that says, “Shine. The world needs more of your beautiful light.” Just wearing the ring and remembering to shine gave me the inspiration I needed to face those decisions.

So this year I’m coming back to shine. My intent is to shine and encourage others to shine. I want to give out a bright light. I have the Light in my life, and I want it to have an impact on others. I work with some amazing colleagues, and I want to encourage them to shine. The students in my life have strengths and voices that need to shine. My desire is to encourage others in a way that will help them feel safe enough to shine and share with others.

Here are the questions I am pondering:
  • What makes people feel safe enough to take risks? How can I facilitate this risk taking?
  • How do I highlight and encourage the work of others?

I would love to hear your comments about these questions. Also, what is your #OneWord2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment