Children's Books

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Awaken the Reader

     If I am being really honest, sometimes my reading life is like a sleeping lion. I can fall asleep and not read for days (even weeks).  Life passes me by without a thought about all the books that I am missing.
     Then, something wakes up the reading beast in me.  I feel hungry and can't wait to get another book in my hands.  I pour over the pile of books waiting for me to pick the best one.  I spot the prey and spring into action.
     I'm an adult, so I know how to jump in and out of a voracious reading life.  My job is to help my students jump in.  How am I helping them awaken their inner reader?  I am awakening readers by listening to what they say when we have reading conversations.  I listen to the truths they share.
     Sometimes I have to do the hunting for them and present them with several books to sink their teeth into.  Other times I only need to give them a little nudge in the right direction.