Children's Books

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Wild Robot and Peter Brown

Peter Brown starts Roz.
     I recently had the opportunity to meet Peter Brown on his book release tour for The Wild Robot Escapes , the sequel to The Wild Robot. I fell in love with the main character, Roz, when I first read The Wild Robot last year. Roz is a robot who finds herself stranded on an island inhabited by all types of animals. At first, the animals are not accepting of Roz since she is so different. Roz learns to communicate with the animals through close observations, and they learn to help each other. Roz also unintentionally becomes the mother of a goose she adopts.
Peter Brown adding the finishing touches. 
     The bond between Roz and her son, Brightbill, is the driving force of both books. Roz learns that being a parent takes everything she has. I just love how Roz learns how to parent through every situation. My mother's heart was breaking for Roz and her desire to protect and care for her son.
      I think all kids grades 2 and up will enjoy both of these chapter books. The plots in both stories move along with enough action to keep children interested.
     Peter Brown told me that he intentionally made the chapters short so reader could feel the accomplishment of finishing chapters. As a self-described, "reluctant reader", Mr. Brown said that he designed the book to have short chapters and supporting illustrations for all types of readers. I told him that I love to book buzz about his books whenever I get the opportunity.  If you want to learn more about the process Peter Brown used when researching, writing and illustrating his books you should visit his site.



No comments:

Post a Comment