Children's Books

Friday, March 2, 2018

How do I stop talking so much during guided reading?

I've read Who's Doing the Work? How to Say Less So Readers Can Do More by Jan Burkins and Kim Yaris a couple times, and I have questions regarding small group reading instruction. The majority of my day consists of small group reading instruction, and I honestly do too much talking. When looking at the gradual release model, small group reading instruction is the step right before independent reading. Small group reading should be the opportunity for students to show how well they can use reading strategies by themselves under the watchful eye of the teacher. On page 82, Burkins and Yaris describe the teacher's work during guided reading.
"The teacher facilitates rather than directs the lesson, observing students as they resolve challenges in the text and making notes about the reading process. There is is extensive student interaction with the text."
Today I had a couple minutes to talk directly with Jan, and I asked for her about my question...How do I stop talking so much during guided reading? Jan's response was helpful and doable. She said, "Take notes. Take running records. Start writing and keep writing."  While the students are interacting with text I can take notes and running records based on what students are doing.

I think I can do that. Please comment below to share what you do during small group reading so that your students are doing most of the work.

Check back to see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment