Children's Books

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Reflecting on 25 Years

I have been in a reflective mood lately. Soon I will complete my twenty-fifth year as a school teacher. I think back to the young twenty-two year old I was my first year of teaching. My classroom management was terrible. I tried to do everything on my own. I always felt like I was drowning under a pile of papers to grade, and I felt like I was failing my students. I'm still thankful when I find out that students from my first year are gainfully employed, positive members of society even though their 8th grade math experiences were sub par. 

I have been blessed to work with administrators, colleagues, and students who have encouraged me and supported me through the years. It's a blessing to be in a position to learn and grow right along with my students and colleagues. Many things have changed, but many have stayed the same. Kids still want to be loved. Kids want to feel successful. 


1992
2017
Teaching Assignment
8th Grade Math- I had one class of below level math students, one pre-Algebra class, and three 8th grade math classes.
Teaching Assignment
Kdg-4th Grade Remedial Reading- 7 sections of small group reading intervention, push-in reading conferences in 4th grade, and 1 individual reading intervention.
Classroom Management
Assertive Discipline-
I developed the classroom behavior rules. Classroom rules and consequences progressions were posted. (This next part makes me cringe.) When a student misbehaved I would write their name on the chalkboard and add a check mark after each additional rule infraction.
Classroom Management
Positive Behavior Intervention Supports- We develop and practice the expectations. Students practice expectations. If students continue to have difficulty meeting behavior expectations we work privately to come up with behavioral goals.
Rewards
Bonus Bucks & Candy Jar- I handed out Bonus Bucks for all sorts of reasons like homework completion, good classroom behavior, quiz grades, bringing extra tissue boxes, and having all classroom supplies.(Or you could just steal a bunch out of my bottom drawer when I wasn’t looking. Yes, that happened.) Kids could save their Bonus Bucks and spend them to buy Jolly Ranchers or other candy in my candy jar. This motivated some kids to do their job, and it motivated others to steal.
Rewards
Prize Bucket, Notes Home, Phone Calls Home- I will admit, I use a prize bucket as a bribe to get the most important papers back to school. I also use it as a reward choice for students on individual behavior goals.
Technology
Overhead projector, television and VCR from the AV department, a classroom set of calculators, and I used an Apple IIe at home. I remember taking my overhead projector sheets home and washing off the marker in order to reuse the sheets again.
Technology
Tablet, laptops, Chromebooks, classroom Twitter account, interactive whiteboard, and desktop computers.
Collaboration
None. I was not on the same floor as my other teammates. I felt very alone.
Collaboration
I have a PLC with other reading interventionists in my building. I also have an extensive PLN through Twitter. My PLN allows me to collaborate with educators around the globe.
Curriculum
Get through the book.
Curriculum
Follow the curriculum to meet state and district standards.
Kids They wanted to be loved. They wanted to have friends. They wanted to feel successful.  
Kids They want to be loved. They want to have friends. They want to feel successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment