Children's Books

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Crossover Book Club


Round 2 of the Lincoln Elementary Staff Book Club starts tomorrow. We will be discussing the first half of The Crossover by Kwame Alexander. I read the book already, and I am sure my colleagues will love it as much as I do.  We've had the books for about a week, and two people told me, "I just couldn't stop reading. I kept going and finished the book." I knew this would happen. The Crossover is that kind of book.


There are so many things I absolutely LOVE about our book clubs:

  • There is a sense of community around the shared experience of reading the same book. We get to experience the same characters together. We are able to experience the victories and heartbreaks our characters encounter.
  • Kids are watching. They are noticing. When kids see the books sitting on our desks they are curious. They want to know what the book is about. They think it's cool that I am reading the same book as their teacher.
  • Sharing in a book club helps keep me accountable for my reading. I want to be able to talk with my friends about the book, so I make sure my reading is completed.
  • Book clubs give us a chance to take a risk and experience books that might be different from our normal choices.
I want to say, "Thank You",  to our local public library and library foundation. They fund book club kits that are available to check out. This kit made our book club happen in a snap. 

Lastly, I appreciate the support and participation from our building principal.  Everyone loves a jeans day!

No comments:

Post a Comment