Children's Books

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Burkins and Yaris, LIVE!!!

I recently had the pleasure of hearing Jan Burkins and Kim Yaris speak about next generation reading instruction. They are powerful duo. It was evident that they work well as a team, and they truly believe in pushing our thinking and teaching in order to do our best work.

My mind if so full of great ideas I want to share, but let's just start with three.
  1. A balanced reading process is as important as level.  Students should have balance between using print and meaning in their reading processes. Students who rely on either print or meaning at the expense of the other will not be able to sustain comprehension and growth. My goal as a teacher should be to realize when students do not have print and meaning balance and intervene at that point.
  2. Am I maximizing the gradual release of responsibility? Read Aloud, Shared Reading, Guided Reading, and Independent Reading allow a gradual release of responsibility from teacher instruction to students independently using the skills they have been taught. Guided reading should be the opportunity to see if students can use the skills that have been taught in read aloud and shared reading. "Guided reading should look as much like independent reading as possible."
  3. "The brain that does the work is the brain that does the learning" by David Sousa. When I can release responsibility and problem solving over to the students, they will be the ones learning.
What's my plan?
  • Video tape myself during small group today. (Yikes!) Am I leading students to the problem solving situations, or am I allowing them to problem solve through the difficulties that arise?
  • Continue to read Who's Doing the Work.

No comments:

Post a Comment