Children's Books

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Using Video to Communicate with Parents

     This week I tried something new.  I made a video of myself talking to parents about a way they can help their kindergarten students learn the letter sounds.  I used the webcam on my tablet, sat at my desk, and talked away.  I posted the video to YouTube, and then I emailed the link to parents.  Several parents have watched the video, and a couple have sent me positive feedback.  I liked making a video (even though it's painful to watch and listen to myself) because parents can see and hear directly from me. Is this the best video ever made? Absolutely not, but it's the first time I tried.  You can try it yourself.
Tips for making a video to share:
  • Be aware of your background. I had a paper hanging in the background with a bunch of phone numbers and birthdays that I covered up before making the video.
  • Move yourself or the camera make the most of your lighting.  If your audience can't see you it won't work as well.
  • Keep it brief.  
  • Don't be afraid of YouTube.  Check out Google for Education Training Center for tips on using YouTube.
  • Don't aim for perfection.  Your goal isn't to earn an Oscar.  Your goal is creating a video that will enhance your communication with parents, teachers, or students.

No comments:

Post a Comment